Click to Home

Go To Search
Councils & Commissions
Notice of Commission Vacancy
The City of Sunnyside is seeking applicants to fill two vacant positions (artist, musician or actor and Sunnyside Fine Arts teacher) on the Sunnyside Arts Commission, one vacant position on the Planning Commission and two vacant positions on the Board of Parks & Recreation effective immediately.

Sunnyside Arts Commission:  Consists of nine members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council for four-year terms.  The appointees would fill vacancies which would expire four years after their date of appointment. 

The Commission is responsible for advising the City Council on all matters pertaining to the artistic, aesthetic and cultural aspects of the City.  It shall recommend to the City Council the adoption of such ordinances, rules and regulations necessary for the administration and preservation of fine arts, performing arts, historical, aesthetic, and cultural aspects of the community.  It shall actively encourage programs for the cultural enrichment of the community, including visual and performing arts activities as well as arts education programs.  The Commission shall participate in the designation of historical landmarks, and review design elements for public sculpture, fountains, murals, benches and other fixtures. 

The Sunnyside Arts Commission meets once per calendar quarter, or as needed.

Planning Commission:  Consists of seven members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council for four-year terms.  The appointee would fill an unexpired term through January 2016 and may reside within any area within the boundaries of Sunnyside School District No. 201. 

The Commission is responsible to consider all amendments, modifications or alterations to the City's comprehensive plan, to conduct hearings as otherwise specified by law, to hear, review, and recommend proposed annexations of the City, and to perform other planning functions as required by the City Council and state law.

The Planning Commission meets each calendar month, or as needed.

Board of Parks & Recreation: Consists of seven members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by City Council for four-year terms.  The appointees would fill unexpired terms and are both at-large positions.

The Board is responsible to make recommendations to the City Council and the City Manager or his designee on matters relative to the development, operation and use of the parks and recreation facilities of the City, and the planning designing and implementation of City park facilities and recreational services and activities.

The Board of Parks & Recreation meets each calendar month, or as needed.

Applications for these unpaid positions are available by downloading the application below, in the City Clerk's Office, City Hall 818 E. Edison Avenue, or by calling 837-3997.

Applications will be accepted until the vacancies are filled.

The City of Sunnyside has several advisory boards, commissions, and committees that advise the City Council on a wide variety of subjects. Citizen volunteers enhance Sunnyside city government.

Vacancies can occur when a position term expires or through unscheduled vacancies as a result of resignations during the year. If you are interested in serving your community, please complete online, download the application or pick one up at City Hall.

Submit your completed applications to:
City of Sunnyside
Attn: City Clerk
818 E. Edison Avenue
Sunnyside, WA 98944